Thursday, February 2, 2023

Dereliction by Jim Kangas

When the blood test came back
my doc sent me a copy.
It said I had pronounced
poikilocytocis (misshapen red
blood cells) which can have
any number of causes, and he
scrawled at the bottom
“mild anemia, liver enzymes
elevated, need to drink plenty
of fluids, stop alcohol 
immedately.” What was I
to make of that? Well, I’ve cut 
down on the alcohol, but still 
have a bourbon and coke most 
nights, or a gin and tonic. Hell, 
I’m 78, and if I go a little sooner 
rather than later, so what? With 
so many physical failings, I think 
maybe the sooner the better. 
Less agony to go through 
would be a great blessing, 
don’t you reckon?


Jim Kangas is a retired librarian and musician living in Flint, Michigan. His poems have appeared in Atlanta Review, Decadent Review, Main Street Rag, The Penn Review, Unbroken, et al. His chapbook, Breath of Eden (Sibling Rivalry Press), was published in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impossible Standards By Terry Allen

Impossible standards just make life  difficult, she said, above the buzz of Spike’s birthday bash, trying her best  to be attractive, charm...