Tuesday, February 14, 2023

gagaku by Tohm Bakelas

for Steve Richmond

Lying here alone, upon this stinking
bed, covered in sweat, in this dark 
room of death, suffering from covid. 
Symptoms: a never ending headache 
from hell, nasal congestion, runny 
nose, appetite loss, persistent and 
productive cough, multiple fevers 
and total lack of sleep. When light 
breaks through the curtains it’s like 
a hot needle swiveling around the
inside of my skull. There’s nothing to 
do but shed tears and wipe them away. 
Attempting to distract myself from this 
nightmare, I grip the cat who has joined
me, and read Steve Richmond’s poems. 
This was a man who knew of great 
suffering. Knew it on so many different 
levels. Here, in my suffering, I imagine 
Steve smoking his joints, drinking his 
methadone to stay off the hard shit, 
while his demons swung axes at his 
neck attempting decapitation. I laugh 
at these thoughts while my demons 
dance around this room, cackling at 
my pain from shifting shadows as 
I break another fever and wonder 
how and when this might end. 




Tohm Bakelas is a social worker in a psychiatric hospital. He was born in New Jersey, resides there, and will die there. His poems have appeared in numerous journals, zines, and online publications. He has published 18 chapbooks and 2 collections of poetry and his latest book "The Ants Crawl In Circles" is available at Amazon.com. He runs Between Shadows Press.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Measure By Bruce Morton

We measure light, Not darkness, which is The absence of light. We measure heat, Not cold, which is The absence of heat. We measure sound, No...