Monday, February 20, 2023

JESSIE JOY’S COMPLAINT by Ken Anderson

You elbowed in, like a crook— a gun tucked 
under your coat. You stripped to your shorts 
and fed me my cue, but one small detail knocked it all
askew. “Turn off the light,” you ordered, cross,
no romantic fool. I aroused one stiff little flame
in the kitchenette just to follow, if not pursue, the affair. 
For your deep, dark secret had gathered itself
into something big and bent I couldn’t face 
nor use, though I’ve borne the wrench
of more crooked bastards. I could turn only my hand
to you, like a knob, but not to a door I’d dare
to open. You felt wrong as if touch had warped
as vision could with a mote. You needed a mercy job, the foil
of my calling. Of course, such scruples failed
to fit the part, but you weren’t straight. A true man, no.
You could not plumb me true. Broke, however, 
I charged what you had and got down 
to business, halfway curious, I must admit, 
to take such a monster in. Even there, the taste
of ugliness would be ugly, yes, ugly as sin. You wallowed
in me, wild and unwieldy, but never quite managed 
to fully employ me, like most. What an odd road
for blood to travel. Thrills must’ve swerved. O pirate, 
how you’ll miss me with your hook. I’ll trade another night,
as vowed, for neither love nor cash.



'

Ken Anderson’s poetry books are The Intense Lover and Permanent Gardens. Publications include Better than Starbucks, Café Review, Club Plum, Coffin Bell, Dash, Dawntreader, Free Verse Revolution, Harvest (Quillkeepers Press), Hole in the Head Review, Hyacinth Review, Impostor, The Journal, Last Stanza Poetry Journal, London Grip, Lotus-eater, Lullwater Review, Modern Literature, Nebo, Neologism Poetry Review, Oddball Magazine, Orbis, Penumbra, Rudderless Mariner Poetry, Sangam Literary Magazine, Sein und Werden, SurVision, Toho Journal, Verbal Art, The Waiting Room, and Willawa Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AN UNSENT LETTER TO BUKOWSKI By Brenton Booth

                The year you died   I was just a teenager, cold and confused: the fire extinguished long ago. I would  soon turn to the word...