Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Just Spit It Out by Connie Johnson

You.
Me.
And your opinion.
Have become an unholy 3-way
And I’m waiting for you to pry my name
Out of your mouth.

Skeletons rattling around in your brain
Can they come out and play?
A fistful of he said/she said and it’s no wonder that all
Your unasked questions pose such a shaky proposition. 

(Why am I so intoxicated in your embrace?

My name, something you want to drag
Ghosts clambering onto your back for leverage
Incessant tongue work is what you should call it  
And I don’t think you can even read me right
Without a little 20/20 hindsight.

Like many a sage or street corner philosopher
Who know what it’s like to be misquoted, I started out speaking
In a foreign tongue. It would be rude to switch up now.

Words from a fever dream, flickeringly specific
All your hand held mirrors so one-sided. Your reflection
Scaring off what feel like haints in the house. And every time
You talk to yourself (“you’re just talking to yourself”
You mention my name.




Connie Johnson is a Los Angeles, California-based poet whose work has appeared  or will be forthcoming in Iconoclast, Haight-Ashbury Literary Journal, Jerry Jazz Musician, Voicemail Poems, Misfit Magazine, Exit 13 and Mudfish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...