Friday, September 22, 2023

Milwaukee’s Eastside early 70’s by Mary Ray Goehring

          After Joe Walsh 
 
After we slept all day to be up all night
after a few High Lifes and doobies
we descend the concrete stairs 
underground to Humpin’ Hannah’s. 

After ordering more long necks
after whispers of a guest guitarist
after finding an empty table close to the stage
we settled in then choke on our beers amazed 
after they announce Joe Walsh
without the James Gang
jamming just 20 feet away.

After listening all night long 
his riffs tearing down the house
stripping our minds of coherent thought
After the roar of the now standing room 
only crowd after his last song
we pinch ourselves 
stumble up the stairs
ramble to a random pool joint

After our previous good luck
I slap my quarter on the rail
then step up to play the winner
After rolling my chosen cue across 
the green felt like I knew what I was doing
after chalking then waiting for the break
shot after shot finding the pocket
my companions as shocked as me
after sinking the eight ball on my last shot 
still basking in my string of dumb luck
even after the loss
I finish the night’s last High Life 
knowing life’s been good to me so far.




Mary Ray Goehring spends her time migrating between her prairie in Central Wisconsin
and the pine forests of East Texas.  She has been published in both print and online literary journals
and anthologies such as:   One Art:  a journal of poetry, The Path of Kindness: Poems of Connection and Joy, Lothlorien Poetry Journal, Blue Heron Review, Bramble, Your Daily Poem, Highland Park Poetry and others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...