Friday, September 1, 2023

POSER by Glenn Armstrong

When I broke a nude reclining pose, and took a
cigarette break on the roof, the instructor outlined 
the vacant space with masking tape so it looked like 
a crime scene. My robe was worn ceremoniously, 

not for the cold. I picked up the pose accurately
again after my smoke; flesh, muscle, and bone covered
nicotine-stained lungs. My bare body became an 
inanimate object in front of the class, and 

artists stood inches from me as if I had turned  
into brass or marble. Afterwards, I noticed some  
sculptors had neglected to provide my likenesses
with clay penises, but left smooth groins instead like 

those found on ‘70s Hulk action figures with remov-
able clothes. (I used to blow up my plastic 
superheroes with firecrackers inserted 
into their arm and leg joints, which explains a lot.) 

But why did TV Hulk’s shredded clothes actually 
get bigger when he expanded? How did his pants 
and boxer shorts not split and fall off? Anyway, 
although I posed for the money, it helped would-be 
artists edge a little closer to 15-minute fame.




Glenn Armstrong has been a journalist, art model, and monk. His poetry has appeared in The Beatnik Cowboy and other publications. He lives in San Diego.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Old Self By Dan Provost

What I wouldn’t give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 AM—Telling lies to one another, far from God.   Dan Provost's poetry has ...