Monday, January 8, 2024

Fifteen By Wayne F. Burke


I stepped up to the bar
with a borrowed draft card
from a neighbor
and showed the card
to the bartender who
glanced at it
then at me
as I stood on tiptoes
because I was supposed to be
five foot eleven but
only five foot seven
the bartender did not notice
or else not care
he served me a glass of beer
cost 15-cents
on a dollar I could get drunk
and did
whenever we went "over the line" from
Massachusetts, where I lived--and
the drinking age 21--into New York (18)
down dark winding drunken roads that
each year
claimed one of two of us
but never me, and
I wonder why:
because I was lucky; because
someone or thing looking-out for
me; because the stars & planets
aligned in my favor, or
what?





Wayne F. Burke's poetry and prose has been widely published in print and online (including in THE RYE WHISKEY REVIEW). He was nominated for a Pushcart by THE DOPE FIEND DAILY in 2022. He lives in Vermont (USA).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Beethoven Knocking By Wendy Cartwright

The bows carve through my eardrums flossing wax from grey matter cleaning and preening those hard-to-reach spots that still hold the remnant...