Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The Messenger’s Revenge by Leah Mueller

When my mother sent me to
the grocery store for cigarettes, 
she scribbled a permission
note for the cashier:

“Please sell a carton of 
Benson and Hedges 100s 
to my 12-year-old daughter. 
Thank you.”

I begged her to quit smoking, 
describing photos from 
my school’s science fair—

grisly, side-by-side 
comparisons of a healthy lung 
and a smoker’s lung. 

The healthy lung 
was lush and pink 
as a freshly picked carnation.

The smoker’s lung looked like 
someone had kicked it repeatedly
and left its battered carcass 
on the ground to decompose.

My protests made my mother
furious, and her rage
sparked a powerful hunger
for more cigarettes.

I learned to make the best 
of Mom’s addiction, stealing 
her change for my own fix:

Hostess cupcakes, brownies,
Ding-Dongs, and Twinkies—

stuffing my mouth like a squirrel,
chewing furtively, as the 
cheap white sugar coursed 
through my tainted veins.

Forgetting my mother’s
imminent demise, I concealed

crumpled, spent wrappers 
inside my coat pockets, then
shoved them inside the trash can
beneath the kitchen sink.

My unsuspecting parents 
sat together in the living room,
hacking phlegm into flimsy tissues.

I was a thief and a glutton, but 
no one could accuse me of littering. 





Leah Mueller's work appears in Rattle, NonBinary Review, Brilliant Flash Fiction, Citron Review, The Spectacle, New Flash Fiction Review, Atticus Review, Your Impossible Voice, etc. She has been nominated for Pushcart and Best of the Net. Leah's flash piece, "Land of Eternal Thirst" appears in the 2022 edition of Best Small Fictions. Her two newest books are "The Failure of Photography" (Garden Party Press, 2023) and "Widow's Fire" (Alien Buddha Press, 2023). Website: http://www.leahmueller.org.




No comments:

Post a Comment

DRIFTING UP By Roger Singer

while walking in the dark inhaling the aroma of night I threw a few words into the sky   a collection of dust particles vapors and thoughts ...