Friday, February 23, 2024

Jackie By Mark James Andrews


The last days of Jackie

were spent with me

over quiet morning beers


their brain factory fried

now unemployed and waiting

on social security disability


with a work life bouncing around 

joints manufacturing car parts

as a plastic model maker


toxic chemicals a constant

a machinist casting, core-making

injecting and molding poisons


for the profit of “the shop”

heavy drinking and drugs

getting through overtime

 

“down time” and layoffs

now they knock at my door

every other day early PM


short-term memory gone

speech hesitant with word loss

Nina Simone records calm them


also photographs of cityscapes.

“You’re gonna be mad at me!”

“No dude. We’re cool,” I say.


“Listen. I blew some money

on a tattoo and I know I owe you.

What is it a hundred? Two, three?


I always wanted to get inked up 

with this, man, let me show you.”

They lift their shirt sleeve high


an Old English “D” on flabby bicep.

“The Tigers, man. Our city.

Is that fucking cool or what?


One hundred percent class.

I got ideas for more too.”

Jackie lasted another couple months


and now I think of their ashes

does their ex have them?

and their “D” tattoo up in flames


in a suburban crematorium

a new and final tattoo

and a life setting up machines


for the almighty finished product

and a good blue-collar with two hands

on an orbital sander moving back


and forth in the daily grind continuum

smoothing out the rough edges

and all imperfections in their creation.







Mark James Andrews lives and writes in Metro Detroit. He is the author of five chapbooks. The latest is At The Ice Cow Queen On Mack from Alien Buddha Press. His poetry has appeared in Chiron Review, Nerve Cowboy, Hiram Poetry Review, Slipstream, Respect: The Poetry of Detroit Music, Rye Whiskey Review and many other spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...