Saturday, March 30, 2024

The Lookalike By Gloria Mindock


Nancy was the spitting image of Patty Hearst. She could not drive anywhere without the police pulling her over. She always had to get out of the car, have her car searched, identification checked, and questioned. It was tiring. 

Nancy thought about dying her hair, wearing disguises but why should she have to do this just because she looked like someone.

Four of us were going over to hang out with Nancy and her roommate and have some beers. She lived on the outskirts of town in a white apartment building. For some reason, I always got the creeps in the area she lived in. I was afraid of being raped or assaulted. Do not know why these feelings were so strong.

Some guys who lived in the building came over and partied with us. It was a lot of fun. Everyone was having a great time. I was always on guard and had a rule to drink only one beer. Never leave it unattended. I kept to this rule of mine.

A guy I worked with months ago arrived at the party. He was extremely funny. I did not pay attention to how much he drank. Later, when it was time to leave, he said he would give me a ride home. I was glad because it was dark out. I got into his car and noticed he had a stick shift. Oh I remember learning how to drive one of those. I could go backwards easily but not forward.

He started the car, turned onto the highway and was really going way too fast. I love speeding but only when I am in control of the car. All I could think of is that I am going to die in a crash and maybe other people. I told him to slow down. He didn’t listen.

I made it home and boy was I glad. He left his car in my parking spot and walked a block home. So happy about that. No more driving. 

As I was opening the door to my apartment, a guy out of nowhere appeared. Asking if he could crash on my floor. Fear overtook me. I opened the door so fast and slammed it shut and locked it in a hurry. Whoever this guy was, he was not to be trusted. If he was to be let in, my body would be found the next day. His eyes were black. Evil. The killing kind. Geez… and I was worried about where I partied. Home is where the slaughter is.





Gloria Mindock is editor of Červená Barva Press. She is an award-winning author of six poetry collections, three chapbooks and two translations into Romanian and Serbia. Her poems have been published and translated into eleven languages and her recent book, Grief Touched the Sky at Night (Glass Lyre Press, 2023), won the International Impact Award, the Speak-up Talk Radio International Firebird Award and the Independent Press Award. www.gloriamindock.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Misinterpretated By April Ridge

The things heard in a loud bar when the song changes… a lull in the roar of sound, voices that were drowned in the loudness now underlined b...