Friday, April 26, 2024

Impossible Standards By Terry Allen


Impossible standards just make life 

difficult, she said, above the buzz

of Spike’s birthday bash, trying her best 

to be attractive, charming, witty

and memorable in her new scoop neck, 

deep magenta, peasant blouse.


It was raining outside and those on the deck

had already retreated into the great room,

careful to bring the bruschetta, canapés,

and smoked eggs with them.


You have to try the pinot noir,

her voice broke above the waves of chatter

and laughter as she held her glass under my nose.

It has wonderful berry overtones.


I’ll stick with my beer. Thanks.


Are you two together? the youngish man in the yellow

cashmere sweater asked, glancing at

us as he tried to balance his plate and scotch

whiskey at the same time.


Yes, I said, into my glass.


He nodded and walked away, 

as if that confirmed some important

piece of information needed later when detectives

grilled him about where he was last Friday evening.


I watched him through the bottom

of my glass, when she touched my arm,

saying something out of the corner of her mouth

as she somehow still managed to smile 

at a couple across the room by the Orchid Cactus.


What was that? I asked, 

really trying to listen to Brubeck’s piano

and thinking to myself that the writing

was already on the wall

and the ceiling

and across the back of the white leather sofa

and down the side of her rich red-blue blouse.


Don’t be so judgmental all the time,

she said. And remember

what the prophets tell us: 

Understand yourself so you may understand others.






Terry Allen was born in Brisbane, Australia, grew up in Kanas City and is an emeritus professor of Theatre Arts at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, where he taught acting, directing and playwriting. He is the author of four poetry collections: Monsters in the Rain, Art Work, Waiting on the Last Train, and Rubber Time. His poems have appeared in many journals, including I-70 Review, Third Wednesday, and Popshot Quarterly. In addition, his work has been nominated for an Eric Hoffer Book Award, a Best of the Net Award, and a Pushcart Prize. His books are available at Amazon, Kelsay Books, and locally at Skylark Bookshop in Columbia, Missouri.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Old Self By Dan Provost

What I wouldn’t give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 AM—Telling lies to one another, far from God.   Dan Provost's poetry has ...