Monday, May 13, 2024

I Want to Stare at the Sun Until My Eyes Are Ashes by Jay Passer

Because she drives me to hedonistic acts
Because the beach is strewn with rotting porpoises
Because my body won’t process sugar into ethanol
Because my father is a golem captured in a medieval frieze
Because I cannot identify with sports enthusiasts anymore
Because she would rather climb a wall inside a postmodern structure
Because I won’t peel grapes or scrub the bathtub
Because I refuse to pray to alternative deities
Because broken glass is inedible
Because I sleep in a palm tree and shower under arc-welder’s sparks
Because her frontal lobes are as relentless as an adolescent Hypatia
Because my tongue has replaced the wax buildup in my ears
Because it’s getting dark out in Paris and Knossos
Because the earth is passively yielding to militaristic industry
Because suffering in silence is how I feed my black heart
Because she doesn’t need a hitman to come to her rescue
Because light is too incandescent and the dark too bottomless
Because I’ve regained my libido amongst bull elephants in musth
Because spooning dragonfruit into her mouth is akin to feeding a little baby
Because if you cross me I will shove a broomstick in your eyehole
Because I am sick and ought to be committed to a hospital and restrained with a straightjacket
Because our jams include both Erik Satie and Sinatra
Because the end of the street is the cliff and the abyss
Because the stars are made of carbon in flux
Because she is everything I am not
Because I am an idiot savant drooling and toothless with a spoon in one fist and a boner in the other
Because it is not so goddamned righteous being one with the cosmos
Because we still need to fold paper cranes together at a cantina in the semidarkness
Because when I’m just a skeleton she’ll go on to birth a messiah




The poetry and prose of Jay Passer has appeared in print and online periodicals, magazines and anthologies, in subterranean basements and men's room stalls, cave walls and space shuttles, since 1988. He is the author of 15 collections of words, symbols, diatribes, missives, isms, schisms, rain drizzles and blood fizzles. A cook by trade, he's also dabbled in daubs, photo-montage, reverse Feng shui; while failing at mortician's apprentice, news butcher, and criminal savant. Passer's most recent chap, Son of Alcatraz, was released in February of 2024 from Alien Buddha Press, and is available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DRIFTING UP By Roger Singer

while walking in the dark inhaling the aroma of night I threw a few words into the sky   a collection of dust particles vapors and thoughts ...