Monday, June 24, 2024

I Don’t Miss Your Saturday Nights By Troy Schoultz


I don’t miss the straining voices growing louder

As hours crawl to morning.

I don’t miss broken glass on fractured sidewalks

And women walking on broken heels.

I don’t miss walking home, counting red taillights

Hoping later I’ll be able to locate my car.

I don’t miss waking in strange apartments

Looking at stranger’s faces on the wall.

I don’t miss the vicious Sundays

And outraged seagull eating from graffiti dumpsters.

I’ll tell you what I do kind of miss…

I miss not knowing death

Or the feel of a hospital bed.

I miss the sense of neon and lightbox possibility

And eyes meeting in the mirror behind the bar.

I miss throwing punches at tomorrow,

And falling in deep, frenzied love with werewolf moons.

I miss,

Sometimes

Most of all

I just miss.




TROY SCHOULTZ is a poet, analog collage artist, and apparently, a survivor. He is the author of three full-length collections and two chapbooks. He makes his home in Oshkosh, WI. He is currently working on a novel, but ain't they all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reaching 0ut by Peter F. Crowley

 I’ve seen people like her before, those who have been cast adrift from their partner.       The moment she steps into the packed Spanish re...