There was a time when every Saturday
Evening was a prelude to the Sunday
Morning hangover. I would rise, and say
“Jesus Christ,” holding my head as if
It were a rock, trying to remember
Whether I had had a good time or not.
We settled into the sofa, pillows soft
And shapeless, our pew of first resort.
I had to kneel to turn on the TV where
There was and half-hour of Roadrunner
Punishing inept Wiley Coyote. We laughed
At the futility of his pursuit. Beep, beep.
This was followed immediately by faith-
Healer Oral Roberts. Under the big tent
The people would come, the believers
And the hopers in their wheelchairs
And on their crutches, stretchers too.
He would lay on his hands and beseech
God to heal them. They would stand
And walk, shed their crutches—beep, beep.
Praise the Lord. If only he could touch my head.
We laughed ourselves silly debating who
Was funnier, Road Runner or Oral Roberts.
There was salvation in both, and Alka Seltzer.
We're the Ezine dedicated to all things barroom. We are slightly off what others consider the norm and always the last to close the bar. If you prefer the local dive bar to the glitz of some overpriced club then you're our kind of people. So welcome grab a drink and enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
IN YOUR DARKEST HOUR, THERE IS A LIGHT By Dennis Montano
the sad man sits at the wood carved bar top head sunk slowly stirring bourbon trying to dissolve a memory as the bartender with kind eyes ap...
-
Ice pops. Can you believe it? He replaced me with ice pops. Me, and . . . booze. Soon’s he quit drinking, my husband Ricky froze, like...
-
Why do I bother plugging the phone in? if I’m waiting for good news, it won’t come miracles do happen but they never happen to me so I might...
-
The porch holds smoke. Not a room. A line. Neighbors on the rail. Shoulders set. No give. Sailors kick the Atlantic off their boots. Salt hi...

No comments:
Post a Comment