Saturday, August 10, 2024

birds and excuses By Chris Dean


The birds are singing,

they don't know that I'm hungover.

(Or maybe they don't care.)

They don't know about the 

anger, the insecurity 

or million other things 

that drive me to drink.

(Or that I use as an excuse.)


They're singing because 

it's a beautiful morning.

(They all are to them.)

They're singing because 

it's what the birds do,

while I lay on the couch, 

arm thrown over my eyes

and pray for the headache to pass.

Because that's what 

we hungover people do.







Chris Dean is a storyteller, spoken word artist and self-proclaimed Magpie Poet who writes from the heart of Indiana where they live with their husband, dog and too many cats to mention. 


Their work has been featured online, in multiple print anthologies and they are the author of two books of poetry, Tales From a Broken Girl and We're All Stories in the End, published by Storeylines Press. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

DRIFTING UP By Roger Singer

while walking in the dark inhaling the aroma of night I threw a few words into the sky   a collection of dust particles vapors and thoughts ...