Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Rum Syrup By Alex S. Johnson


My first night at my new

Apartment in 


Davis, I was 20 years old

With a fake ID


I bought a 

Six pack of 


Coke and a 

Bottle of rum


Placed the rum 

In the freezer


Until it turned to 

Syrup 


Then I poured a can of

Coke into a glass


Added the rum syrup 

Fired up an


Unfiltered

Camel cigarette


Tasted the acrid

Smoke


On my lips


Felt the

Fire blossom in

My belly


And played the song

“The Passion of Lovers”

By Bauhaus


On my battered

Tape deck


“So this is adulthood,” I told myself.


The poster on the wall read:

Love

Will

Tear

Us 

Apart.


The next day

I turned

21


I tottered to the 

Cafe Roma


Feeling like

God






Alex S. Johnson is a retired English instructor, disability rights activist, author, editor and publisher (Nocturnicorn Books). He is known for his highly unusual poetry style which combines influences from Dada and Surrealism to hip hop, black metal, industrial noise, T.S. Eliot, Walt Whitman and Rimbaud. His books include the acclaimed collection The Death Jazz, Bureau of Dreams, The Doom Hippies and Bizarrely Departed. His work has appeared in such venues as Horror Sleaze Trash, Black Noise, Bizarro Central and Cease, Cows. His upcoming books include The Junk Merchants 2: A Literary Tribute to William S. Burroughs, featuring a roster of luminaries including Poppy Z. Brite, Caitlin Kiernan, John Shirley and the co-founder of the iconic Goth rock band Bauhaus, David J. Haskins. Johnson ilves in Sacramento, California with his family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DRIFTING UP By Roger Singer

while walking in the dark inhaling the aroma of night I threw a few words into the sky   a collection of dust particles vapors and thoughts ...