Wednesday, July 4, 2018

PLAYING THE FIELD. by Matt Amott



I usually stay away 
from sports bars,
too many big screens
too many team jerseys
and too many high fives.
But, my day was long
and Mulligan's is
the closest place
to get myself a few drinks.

When I arrive,
there is an attractive women
sitting at the bar.
She seems to be with a group 
but not with anyone in particular
and when we hold 
each other's gaze a little longer 
than usual, I walk
towards her 
preparing

for tonight's game.






Matt Amott is a poet, musician and photographer who wanders around the Pacific Northwest. He is co-founder and co-editor of Six Ft. Swells Poetry Press and has been published in numerous collections as well as two books of his own, THE COAST IS CLEAR (Six Ft. Swells Press) and GET WELL SOON (Epic Rites Press).  He can be reached and purchases made at afterhourspoetry.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Old Self By Dan Provost

What I wouldn’t give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 AM—Telling lies to one another, far from God.   Dan Provost's poetry has ...