We're the Ezine dedicated to all things barroom. We are slightly off what others consider the norm and always the last to close the bar. If you prefer the local dive bar to the glitz of some overpriced club then you're our kind of people. So welcome grab a drink and enjoy.
Wednesday, July 18, 2018
THE DESIGNATED DRIVER. by John Gray
I'm drinking in a pathetic way
My fingers take up the task.
They drum on the table.
A friend jokes, "How's the Sarsaparilla?"
Actually, it's flat cola.
I'm the designated driver.
My thirst has been elected.
It must stay away from quenching
while my companions
double down on their happiness
with every sip of ale.
Tumblers of the stuff arrive,
froth enough to give birth
to Venus on the half-shell.
The beer glows melted gold.
The table rocks with filthy jokes.
Only I know they're not funny.
Jukebox blares and the singing commences.
Raucous bellows compete with booming beats.
Harmonics take a beating.
Melody tanks.
My ears are sorry
they were ever volunteered.
My buddies flirt. They roar.
They argue loudly but nothing comes to fisticuffs.
Mostly they're out of it.
Some collapsed across the table.
Others taking S curves to the men's room..
It's up to me to tell them
what a good time they're having.
Eventually, the bar closes
and my amateur, unpaid taxi
drops them at their house, one by one.
When I'm done,
I really do need a drink.
Out comes the whiskey bottle.
Click goes the glass.
I'm the designated driver
who drives himself to drink.
John Grey is an Australian poet, US resident. Recently published in Examined Life Journal, Evening Street Review and Columbia Review with work upcoming in Harpur Palate, Poetry East and Visions International.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
To the actor portraying Federico Garcia Lorca By Trish Saunders
On the afternoon of the day the Spanish poet was murdered, you sat in the safety of your overstuffed armchair, fanned yourself with dead pal...
-
Why do I bother plugging the phone in? if I’m waiting for good news, it won’t come miracles do happen but they never happen to me so I might...
-
The porch holds smoke. Not a room. A line. Neighbors on the rail. Shoulders set. No give. Sailors kick the Atlantic off their boots. Salt hi...
-
Maybe about a hundred people know about this place, but you only ever find not even a dozen troubled souls on any given night here. Directio...
No comments:
Post a Comment