Friday, August 17, 2018

Going Grave Hopping. by Melanie Browne



I take my parents
visiting grave sites
of family and friends,
my sister calls it
"grave hopping" and
that makes me laugh

It also makes me
feel much older than I am,
and that is fine too,
but not the Texas heat-

we buy fake flowers at
hobby lobby and some
Texas flags too but two
of the dearly departed
have crypts and there
isn't much room
for grave "knickknacks,"

I leave flowers for
my brother and my pastor
and his wife
but can't find my
great grandmother's grave
in an old cemetery off of
MLk Blvd in Dallas,

we drive in circles and
sometimes in reverse
horrified my tires will veer
too far to the left or
too close to the right

I don't want to leave
a bad impression






Melanie Browne is a poet and fiction writer living in Texas. She has been published in various journals and 
online literary magazines such as Pulp Metal Magazine. She has also been included in several anthologies, 
including Zombies Galore and Everyday poets 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Black Magic Woman By Alexis Child

I carve a voodoo doll out of wax Hold a lighter to its chest It's hot, hot, hot She's lost her heart Her lovely head And beautiful l...