Monday, September 3, 2018

HOW I GOT DRUNK. by John Grey



Watching the guy
who'll drink anything,
I’ve turned into the one
who can feel everything.
Shock, awe, dismay.
are my whiskey and beer and vodka.
When he drowns his sorrows.
fin bubbling under with him.
When alcohol loosens his tongue,
it releases my emotions.
Drunk out of his gourd,
he bursts into hysterical laughter,
like a well
I dip my cup into
to get my humor.
I'm with the one
who peels back his skin
by the glassful,
reveals with each sip.
The world drives him to drink.
It drives me to be a poet.
Stack "em up. he shouts to the bartender
as he stacks "em up for me.




John Grey is an Australian poet, US resident. Recently published in Examined Life Journal, Evening Street Review and Columbia Review with work upcoming in Harpur Palate, Poetry East and Visions International.

No comments:

Post a Comment

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...