Friday, September 14, 2018

Stolen Kiss. by Matt Amott



He's running late
so she moves down
to the empty barstool
next to mine.

We ramble on 
all afternoon
with our heads floating
in a sea of whiskey,
ranting and raving
about our travels
like two mad souls
reunited.

As she waits,
she kisses a cocktail napkin
to remove the excess
lust from her lips.

Then he arrives
and the lingering look
she held on me 
is gone.

Daylight fades,
long shadows
creep into the the bar
and The Cowboy Junkies
sigh Blue Moon
on the jukebox.

As I leave,
I set the mouth of my empty glass
over her red lips
stained
on a cocktail napkin 
to capture 
a kiss 
that never belonged 
to me.

(Stolen Kiss has appeared in The Coast Is Clear

 published by Six Ft. Swells Press)






Matt Amott is a poet, musician and photographer who wanders around the Pacific Northwest. He is co-founder and co-editor of Six Ft. Swells Poetry Press and has been published in numerous collections as well as two books of his own, THE COAST IS CLEAR (Six Ft. Swells Press) and GET WELL SOON (Epic Rites Press).  He can be reached and purchases made at afterhourspoetry.com.

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent piece! I fucking dig it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The imagery here is outstanding. “To capture a kiss that never belonged to me” just killed me. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete

17 years on the job By John Grochalski

rivers of shit flooding the kitchen   rivers of dirty water to drink   madmen screaming in the bathroom   rivers of madmen jerking off to sc...