Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Like The Plague. by Linda M. Crate


I remember
seeing my dying professor
at the bar
my one ex dragged me to,
of how I cried
because he told us how
he was dying;
it broke my heart to hear
his voice cracking
to know there was so much
he still wanted to do and see despite his age
I just wanted to take his illnesses from him
give them to someone who truly
deserved to suffer like a politician or a murderer—
not a sweet old man
who never did me any harm,
but I know life isn't always fair;
maybe the drinking eased his pain
I didn't drink anything neither did my ex
who was only there for the music
I didn't really care for in that crammed local bar in
my college years that I would later avoid
like the plague.








Linda M. Crate's poetry, short stories, articles, and reviews have been published in a myriad of magazines both online and in print. She has five published chapbooks A Mermaid Crashing Into Dawn (Fowlpox Press - June 2013), Less Than A Man (The Camel Saloon - January 2014), If Tomorrow Never Comes (Scars Publications, August 2016), My Wings Were Made to Fly (Flutter Press, September 2017), and splintered with terror (Scars Publications, January 2018), and one micro-chapbook Heaven Instead (Origami Poems Project, May 2018). She is also the author of the novel Phoenix Tears (Czykmate Books, June 2018).

No comments:

Post a Comment

WINE WORDS by George Haecker

A riot of superlatives to make  Shakespeare blush, we  could choose from  citric persistence vivid aromas  chocolate hints rose petal scents...