Friday, November 2, 2018

Bartender’s Guide. by Jonathan K. Rice



The year I got married I bought
the Deluxe Official Bartender’s Guide.
I remember its bright red cover
the image of Old Mr. Boston,
his sideburns, top hat
and smug countenance.

I thought about cocktails
referenced in movies,
Bond’s dry martini shaken not stirred,
Jackie Gleason as bartender,
the dives my buddies and I frequented,
like the Taboo Lounge, Big Daddy’s,
the Bachelor’s Three, a nameless piano bar
in Pompano Beach.

I discovered brandy and top shelf tequila
at high end bars. Bartenders would mix
and pour whatever was in their reach.
I tried all their different potions.
My friends and I, elbows on the bar,
would nod at one another,
eyeing sleek women in low cut dresses,
snug on their shapely curves, or short skirts,
their tanned smooth legs extended
from their perch on barstools,
high heels sometimes dangling through the laughter.
They came and left with other men.

We thought we were cool, but we hadn’t lived
enough to really impress anyone,
let alone the seemingly sophisticated women
at what we thought were the classy bars.  

If I could just find that bartender’s guide,
I’d run to the liquor store
for some crème de menthe
and Five Star Brandy,
make myself a stinger cocktail
and call an old friend.

I suppose I bought it
to recapture those days
before adulthood set in,
a misspent time before marriage
and kids, before the six-pack
in the fridge became my go to
instead of a stool at a local bar.

I could have kept my drinking simple,
but then I wouldn’t have this book
filled with recipes for all these drinks I never make.


    

Jonathan K. Rice edited Iodine Poetry Journal for seventeen years. He is the author of two full-length poetry collections, Killing Time (2015), Ukulele and Other Poems (2006) and a chapbook, Shooting Pool with a Cellist (2003), all published by Main Street Rag Publishing. He is also a visual artist. His poetry and art have appeared in numerous publications, including Cold Mountain Review, Comstock Review, Diaphanous, Empty Mirror, Gargoyle, Inflectionist Review,     Levure Litteraire, The Main Street Rag, Wild Goose Poetry Review and the anthologies, Hand in Hand: Poets Respond to Race and The Southern Poetry Anthology VII: North Carolina.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

For The Mourner By Alec Solomita

For the mourner only one thing is: things like business, cooking, seeing birds stir the spring air, falling snow, even watching the home tea...