Friday, November 9, 2018

Night Songs. by Wayne Russell


On the night we broke into,
I was drunk again.

We had our worst argument
in living memory.

You told me to stop the drinking
or we were finished.

I slammed the door on our
20-year union and made my
way into the bar in order to
drown my sorrows.

The kids were asleep and you
had run out of tears to shed, so
you locked the doors and went
to bed. 

The barmaid asked me to leave the
premises when I started passing
out at the bar.

It was the third time I had nodded
off, so I pried my ass from the
bar stool and shuffled towards the
door.

Into the frigid city night, I stumbled
knowing that my life would never be
the same again.  




Wayne Russell is or has been many things in his 48 years on this planet, he has been a creative writer, world traveler, graphic designer, former soldier, and former sailor. Wayne has been widely published in both online and hard copy creative writing magazines. From 2016-17 he also founded and edited Degenerate Literature. Just recently, the kind editors at Ariel Chart has nominated Wayne for his first Pushcart Prize for the poem Stranger in a Strange TownWhere Angels Fear is his debut e-book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...