Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Guy. Son of an Alcoholic Born With a Deformity. Glass Attached to His Mouth. Self Refilling. by George Douglas Anderson

I first met him in the garden bar
of the Illawarra Hotel in North Wollongong.

He appeared to have a handicap of sorts
and slurred his vowels (& consonants for that matter).

In the dim light his eyes sparkled like beer froth.

He explained to me proudly how his name was printed
on the inside of Toohey’s bottle caps.

Told me his father was in the navy during World War 2
how his mine sweeper was sunk by a German U-boat
how he was the sole survivor.

Curiously, he appeared inebriated
and was frequently skolling beer
& going to the toilet- although not once
had I seen him order from the bar.

“What’s your secret?”

“What do you mean?” he asks.

“If I was you, I’d bottle it.”





George Douglas Anderson grew up in Montreal and migrated to Australia in his early 20s. He is long-term blogger at BOLD MONKEY. Recent or forthcoming chapbooks include Teaching My Computer Irony (Punk Chapbook Series Epic Rites Press), Shark in the Shallows (Analogue Submission Press) and Fuckwits & Angels (Holy & Intoxicated Publications).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spirited Away By Ken Gierke

No wet blanket, it kept her dry. Bottle or can, didn’t matter. Kept her warm. Inside. Where it matters. Until it didn’t let her forget what ...