Thursday, November 14, 2019

the characters in my novels seem more real than me. By John Grochalski



the booze runs
down my throat
like my own personal niagara

and the characters in my novels
seem more real than me

always plotting and planning
as if they were the center of the universe

instead of being another anxious beast
fixed to die angry and alone

in this garbage farce

walking by cemeteries on hot summer days
late for somewhere i don’t even want to be

watching tombstones age
with epigraphs on everyone’s grave

that secretly read

i should’ve been there more for you
and you should’ve been there more for me

…but now, my friends
everything’s become nothing



but all of this.




John Grochalski is the author of the poetry collections, The Noose Doesn’t Get Any Looser After You Punch Out (Six Gallery Press 2008), Glass City (Low Ghost Press, 2010), In The Year of Everything Dying (Camel Saloon, 2012), Starting with the Last Name Grochalski (Coleridge Street Books, 2014), and The Philosopher’s Ship (Alien Buddha Press, 2018). He is also the author of the novels, The Librarian (Six Gallery Press 2013), and Wine Clerk (Six Gallery Press 2016).  Grochalski currently lives in Brooklyn, New York, where the garbage can smell like roses if you wish on it hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Black Magic Woman By Alexis Child

I carve a voodoo doll out of wax Hold a lighter to its chest It's hot, hot, hot She's lost her heart Her lovely head And beautiful l...