Saturday, February 8, 2020

Ginger and Blackberry. By Thomas M. McDade




I worked for painters, roofers
And landscapers and we hung
Out most at the Indian Lounge
Al stocked sixteen ounce
Bottles of Narragansett
Called Kingers that
You had to drink quickly 
To beat the warm as tit milk
Dredge at the bottom
My older ex-employers often
Gave the pint a boost with a shot
Of ginger brandy and I don’t know
If it was considered medicine 
Like the ale soda often touted so
I overheard no talk of a babe
With the G name they’d shared
I never tried it but did indulge
In the Blackberry sort and hell
With Gansett, chased it
Down the hatch by way of
Ballantine Ale never tried
The Scotch sharing that name
Causing a disturbance 
Was what the judge said
After my night in jail
I did a switcheroo on the old
Hair of the dog that bit me
Never heard of a mutt
Named Blackberry





Thomas M. McDade is a 74-year-old resident of Fredericksburg, VA, previously CT & RI.

He is a graduate of Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT.

McDade is twice a U.S. Navy Veteran serving ashore at the Fleet Anti-Air Warfare Training Center, Virginia Beach, VA and at sea aboard the USS Mullinnix (DD-944) and USS Miller (DE / FF 1091).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kansas 1935 By Arvilla Fee

the wind blows through the cracks— cracks in the doors, the floors, cracks around the window sills; it wails like an injured animal, feral, ...