Sunday, February 9, 2020

I Wanted To Use My New Knife. By Ryan Quinn Flanagan


Had picked it up from the flea market I worked at,
had it in my holster waiting for napalm to drop
on silly musicals where the honky tonk piano 
stood in for the voice of reason
and it didn’t take long for the mineshaft to cave in,
for two kids a year back than me in highschool
to push this skinny little nothing into the tree
in our front yard
and I couldn’t care less about the kid picking 
needles out of his arms 
although that was the pretense for me 
to rush outside,
I wanted to use my new knife and I guess
I surprised the bunch of them,
even the kid in the tree fell back onto the sidewalk,
it was only after they left that I felt how close I was,
all that pent up anger set to be released;
that people could die by my hand,
that I held some power finally.





Ryan Quinn Flanagan is a Canadian-born author residing in Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada with his wife and many bears that rifle through his garbage.  His work can be found both in print and online in such places as: Evergreen Review, The New York Quarterly,The Rye Whiskey Review, Outlaw Poetry Network, Under The Bleachers, The Dope Fiend Daily and In Between Hangovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Last Place on Earth For a Grinning Man By Troy Schoultz

With your morning coffee and french toast fritter. When the snow falls, its always Sunday With nothing to do, but look out the window Listen...