Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Night I Got Out by Zvi A. Sesling

My last night in the Navy
and there was a big party

Forty of us slammed together
in the barroom

Three double scotch on the rocks
the Chief said to down them

I did so he handed me a tankard
with beer

Chug-a-lug he said til you see through
the bottom

I did and he gave me three more
double scotch on the rocks

That’s all I remembered but the
next morning I was ex-Navy






Zvi A. Sesling is the Poet Laureate of Brookline, MA. He has published numerous poems and flash fiction. He edits Muddy River Poetry Review, He is author of four poetry books, War Zones, The Lynching of Leo Frank, Fire Tongue and King of the Jungle and three poetry chapbooks Simple Game, Baseball Poems, Love Poems From Hell and Across Stones of Bad Dreams. His first book of flash fiction is due from Cervena Barva Press in early 2021.  He has been nominated for the Pushcart Prize four times and his books have been nominated for national and local awards. He lives in Chestnut Hill, MA with his wife Susan J. Dechter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Black Magic Woman By Alexis Child

I carve a voodoo doll out of wax Hold a lighter to its chest It's hot, hot, hot She's lost her heart Her lovely head And beautiful l...