Thursday, April 30, 2020

new heights of confusion. By Ben Newell


I’m already rather drunk
when somebody from the leasing office
slides a note under my door.  

The roofers will start work 
tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. 

I’m instructed to move my car
to give their truck adequate clearance—

I should be thankful
to finally have the Chinese water torture
of rainy days vanquished
but all I can think about is tomorrow’s hangover.

New heights of confusion
as I try to differentiate the pounding on the roof 
from the pounding in my skull. 






Ben Newell dropped out of the Bennington Writing Seminars during his first semester, eventually resuming his studies at Spalding University where he earned an MFA.  His first full-length collection of poetry, Fuzzball, was recently published by Epic Rites Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...