Friday, May 1, 2020

Warm Beer, Cold Dude (inspired by Tom Waits) by Alyssa Trivett


Warm beer, cold dude.
I was surprised at
his coffee drunk eyes.
We’re situated at a bar
dubbed The Town.
Even the frost stumbled in drunk
as the creaky door finally shuts.
His hands felt like a grave,
or the brick collection
in my grandfather's garage.
I sipped cordially, my pint glass
subs as a teacup this evening.
Now the sun’s risin’ up
as vampires enroute home.
I reckon the beer foam won't last.
Video poker lights spied on us.
I wasn't a taker, nor a
step right up kinda gal.
Only a stranger clutching a pinky
of this guy I met tonight
who turned my world
upside down, or right-side up,
if we're being technical.
All my conversations
I’ll just be rabble-rousin'
‘bout you,
sailor.






Alyssa Trivett is a wandering soul from the Midwest. When not working two jobs, she chirps down coffee while scrawling lines. Her work has appeared in many places, but most recently at Ex Ex Lit, and Duane's PoeTree site.

This was originally published in The Black Shamrock
Here is a link below if you would like to check out the book:


No comments:

Post a Comment

On Tuesday There Was a Point When Bourbon Seemed Like a Good Breakfast Food By jim bourey

That was when morning newscasters started their phony emoting about the cargo ship disaster at the Key Bridge.  The day before, it was more ...