Thursday, September 2, 2021

My “Disease” by Brian Rihlmann

In 2016 I quit drinking 
for seven months
went back on the meds
started seeing a shrink
all to cope with a gym job 
I was no longer suited for
stuck there behind the front desk 
interacting with people 
who had once been friends 
when I was just a member

but who now saw the opportunity 
to harass me in various ways 
because I had become an employee 
and couldn’t fight back

I became hostile 
more and more silent
I killed them
with my silence
when they teased me
about my crankiness 
my moodiness 
or any number of personality quirks 

I got to hate their faces
more and more
I’d awaken at three a.m.
look in the mirror 
and the voices in my head
would whisper
about the indignities 
I was sure to endure
that day

one day a member
interrupted my daydreams 
to ask for the key to the cooler
with all the protein shakes
and I threw it at him

he said that was
uncalled for 
and walked out 
and I thought
What the fuck
is wrong with me?

I sought help...
the help didn’t help

eventually I realized—
I’ve just got to
get outta here

it felt too much like junior high
in whatever town you grew up in—
a big, extended, toxic 
dysfunctional family 

a hundred or so
brothers and sisters 

you really can’t stand 
most of these assholes
but you’re stuck with them

and the adults are always telling you
how you don’t REALLY 
hate so-and-so
and to “be nice”

and pretty soon
you don’t know any better

except you do





Brian Rihlmann lives in Reno, Nevada. His work has appeared in many magazines, including The Rye Whiskey Review, Chiron Review, The Main Street Rag, The American Journal Of Poetry, and New York Quarterly. He has authored three collections of poetry, most recently “A Screaming Place,” (2021) by Cajun Mutt Press.



No comments:

Post a Comment

For The Mourner By Alec Solomita

For the mourner only one thing is: things like business, cooking, seeing birds stir the spring air, falling snow, even watching the home tea...