Monday, October 11, 2021

Blood In The Mouth by Dennis Moriarty

Time and rain are relentless.
They flush me out
And drive me like a startled pheasant
Across open fields
Four barrels of thunder gunning
My brain.
I seek refuge in the dank earthly womb
Of a wood,
The sky’s enormous cavity closing
Quickly behind me.
Great trees creak like bones on a
Geriatrics ward.
Sinister silhouettes, crows perch still
As gargoyles,
Their laughter damp and mirthless
As grief,
Their distain one dimensional, flat
And porous as time itself.
The canopy crashes, smashed by raw
Fists of rain,
The sky falls in and the wind howls
Like a ravenous wolf
Already salivating at the thought of
My flesh,
Already tasting the first hot metallic spurt
Of my blood in his mouth.




Dennis Moriarty was born in London, England and now lives in Wales. Married with five grown up offspring Dennis likes walking the dog in the mountains, reading and writing.

In 2017 he won the Blackwater poetry competition and went to county Cork in Ireland to read his work at the international poetry festival. Dennis has had poems featured in many publications including Blue nib, Our poetry archive, Setu bilingual, The passage between and others.


1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant, Dennis. I was almost there feeling the cold rain in my collar. Good work, my friend. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Misinterpretated By April Ridge

The things heard in a loud bar when the song changes… a lull in the roar of sound, voices that were drowned in the loudness now underlined b...