Friday, December 31, 2021

Benefits Of Escape by Rp Verlaine

Kicked to corner 
where she said 
I’d find company. 
 
I walk outside 
where the wind lies 
It’s fresh. 
 
The corner girls 
spin their stale tales 
that I’m next. 
 
I pass the bar 
three times then 
traipse in. 
 
One whiskey 
becomes  
five. 

Then I see 
tattoos too dark to read 
yet her smile says enough. 
 
Beckons me to lose 
for I gather quickly 
her victories are small. 
 
We leave seeking 
a temporary respite 
letting stars kiss our wounds. 
 
With only the moon 
truly golden 
over a pawnshop. 
 
Where in the morning 
I’ll sell my watch to buy 
more time with her. 



Rp Verlaine lives and writes in New York City. He has an MFA in creative writing from City College and taught English in New York public schools until he retired. He has several collections of poetry including Damaged by Dames & Drinking (2017), Femme Fatales Movie Starlets & Rockers (2018), and Lies From The Autobiography 1-3 (2018-2020).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Impossible Standards By Terry Allen

Impossible standards just make life  difficult, she said, above the buzz of Spike’s birthday bash, trying her best  to be attractive, charm...