Friday, December 3, 2021

lucky only had a few By Albi James


     ’cause I was on my way to shit-faced

           - let whatever happens happen -

when Joe yells phone


               it was - no kidding - an interview -

Big Joe saying hurry the hell up

         me frowning, holding up a finger                    

     then plugging an ear

                                turning my back


I bought Joe a drink

                 bought Jean-Guy a drink

     bought Yvette two drinks

bought myself three


          then hauled-ass to the airport

     without even stopping at my room

               - why take chances

                                         au revoir Montréal


                                              two days later

middle of the bush, northern Alberta

          half hung-over - buncha snot-nosed kids

                       looking up from desks


   how long - seemed like forever

           seems like never -

                         in a trailer with some tight-ass

                                                                  named Bob -

                                      - no damn change of clothes

                              - musta been a month

           before I found a decent game -


     until we take the kids down to Edmonton 

                                                    for a good time

           and they promise not to tell - they promise -

  so I show a couple videos

                                            - nothing real bad

          and Christ nothing they haven’t seen a million times


     but money in my pockets now

          - everybody says I owe them

                  but hell they were drunk at the time


                              Bob’s always calling Joe’s

          wants fifteen hundred for phone bills

     - it was no fifteen hundred -


                   I tell him I can’t even work

             ’cause some heavy guys

                                broke both my legs

       and he doesn’t phone anymore





Albi James (pseudonym) lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  He has been a labourer, musician, and teacher – not necessarily in that order. His poems have appeared most recently in In Parentheses and Literary Yard



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Want to Stare at the Sun Until My Eyes Are Ashes by Jay Passer

Because she drives me to hedonistic acts Because the beach is strewn with rotting porpoises Because my body won’t process sugar into ethanol...