Friday, June 24, 2022

Conversation In A Hotel Bar by Robert Halleck

Let me say I know nothing about how
affairs start though I often wonder
about this conversation that today
reappeared from the abyss of my memory. 

The lounge  was dark, the marble bar
cold to the touch. The bartender 
sipped water as he remained aloof 
to the conversations around him.

Cigarette smoke from the woman next
to me drifted toward her companion.
She faced away from me as she listened
to him speak of the meeting they’d left.

I’m sorry the meeting took so long.

Why aren’t you drinking, she asked.

Coke just seemed to be better tonight.

I hope my having a martini is okay with you.

It’s fine. Most nights I’d join you.

Her hair was a little windblown but everything
about her was close to perfect. She continued,

What do you do when you aren’t doing this?

I go home. Looks like I’ll be late tonight. 

You make me curious, you really do.

Why?

Because I can’t see you doing anything other
than what we have done all day.
.
Well, now that you mention it, I’ve been thinking
the same thing about you

Her face was now reflected in the bar’s mirror.
She was smiling as she spoke,

Do you ever ask if it’s worth it?

Oh yeah. Don’t we all?

 Her smile broadened as she continued,
I really am curious about you.

Her companion asked the bartender for a Manhattan
straight up before he responded,

I’m not that interesting.

Oh, I think you are. I’d like to find out how you became
what you are.

It wouldn’t be worth it. I’ve been this way for years.

Oh, no. No one ever is.

Okay, tell me how you used to be.

Nicer. Her smiled faded. Quite a bit nicer. Now
I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow. We should
have a talk some afternoon, maybe here. Get tight
and talk until we find out about each other.

After a few minutes, I left him staring at his
untouched drink perhaps thinking about
climbing the wall into the forbidden garden?





Robert Halleck is a hospice volunteer, rescuer of racing greyhounds, and autocross racer of an aging Porsche  He has authored three books of poetry and been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. His work has appeared in such places as the Paterson Literary Review, Waxing and Waning, and The North Dakota Quarterly.. He is a member of San Diego';s Not Dead Yet Poets



No comments:

Post a Comment

Impossible Standards By Terry Allen

Impossible standards just make life  difficult, she said, above the buzz of Spike’s birthday bash, trying her best  to be attractive, charm...