Thursday, June 23, 2022

Nobody is Legit by Mark James Andrews

I down shift my Dodge to help out 
the brakes & it almost worked 
but my grinding bomb plows 
another beater stopped at the red 
on 8 Mile Road at Mound Road 
a minor cave-in but the trunk pops open
on the crap looking Ford I rear ended 
showing shiny black garbage bags 
so I struggle to get mine into reverse
the clutch another source of grinding
as my grill avalanches to the pavement
then I pull off to the right but a huge
hand out the window waves me
forward so I pull up close 
all windows down in both our cars
two guys looking to read my eyes
one goes “You good?” & I nod 
“Fuck it then!” he screams 
& they peel off with lights out.
We all know nobody is legit 
no proof of no-fault insurance 
possible outstanding warrants
or felonies in progress
in the wee small hours
on the borderline crossroads
past the Railroad Crossing Bar
just down from Kwicky Bar 
Alibi Bar & the Golden Greek 
all the hang out joints for a hive 
of Chrysler plants & a hot spot 
for traffic stops which lead to 
1,001 ways to send you to hell
& a lifetime of the long dick of the law. 





Mark James Andrews is a Metro Detroit poet who has worked a checkered career as a gravedigger, inspector at a defunct auto plant, jail librarian and library director. He is the author of So I Lit A Fire for The Last Thanksgiving (Alien Buddha Press), Motor City is Burning & Other Rock & Roll Poems (Gimmick Press), Compendium 20/20 (Deadly Chaps Press), Burning Trash (Pudding House Press) and a poetry recording Brylcreem Sandwich Band (Bandcamp).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spirited Away By Ken Gierke

No wet blanket, it kept her dry. Bottle or can, didn’t matter. Kept her warm. Inside. Where it matters. Until it didn’t let her forget what ...