Friday, July 29, 2022

Beer Laced with Hallucinogens by Mark James Andrews

10x ODDS ON DICE
up on the marquee
“the D” hotel on Fremont St.
I am not seeking truth here
just wearing my Marvin Gaye
WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER
t shirt to represent my hometown
to hold my own and drink for free 
my mission to camp at penny slots
close to the bar & server parade
just pump the pokies
the fruities & slug slut slots
bad poetry but optimal play 
payback is running on the payline
a world of possibilities maybe
but mainly to park in the path
of the beverage runners
where I tip a sawbuck 
on the important 1st serve
to a half-naked pre-med student
it’s a dirty mixed up world for
working people in this freak show
but now she will come back
every 15 to 30 minutes
& I will go the max 2 drinks 
per person per order every time
as allowed for players in the game
to keep blood alcohol ascending
to shut down the prefrontal cortex
for instant karma & world peace
& I’ll reflect on the Nick Cage movie
from the John O’Brien book
the novelist would suicide 
by gunshot 2 weeks after 
getting word his Leaving Las Vegas 
would make it to film at last
& I’ll find courage in unexpected places 
dodge the fear & loathing gut boiling
as what did Hunter S. Thompson know?
crapping out with his suicide play
his ashes blasted out of a cannon
by Johnny Depp (stunt cost him 3 million)
& Johnny lost in a court room
trying to grow his pirate mustache back
to get back in his game 
& run the table for what? 
so let us build massive ritual sites
like hunters & gatherers 
in pre-history & drink beer 
laced with hallucinogens.





Mark James Andrews is a Metro Detroit poet who has worked a checkered career as a gravedigger, inspector at a defunct auto plant, jail librarian and library director. He is the author of So I Lit A Fire for The Last Thanksgiving (Alien Buddha Press), Motor City is Burning & Other Rock & Roll Poems (Gimmick Press), Compendium 20/20 (Deadly Chaps Press), Burning Trash (Pudding House Press) and a poetry recording Brylcreem Sandwich Band (Bandcamp).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...