Thursday, July 28, 2022

CEMETERY OF LONGSHOTS by Michael N. Thompson

The bar I used to sneak in to
back in high school
hasn’t changed much
after twenty years

A few familiar faces
are scattered like leaves
inside the old girl

I appear to be the only one
who made it out of a town
more passive aggressive
than a stubborn mother-in-law

Chuck Meredith waves me over to his table
and the odds of him not being belligerent
are about as likely as fresh air
inside a euthanasia box 

He was the star quarterback
everyone thought would make it big
but he blew out his knee
during his freshman year 
at an out of state college

Bitching about the government,
Chuck proudly declares
he’s installed a dozen cameras
for when they come for his guns
but nobody’s at the door

Cadillac dreams are futile
when all you have 
is a beat-up Buick
and hope never floats
in a leaky boat



Michael N. Thompson likes bacon, cats and fantasy football.  His poetry has appeared in numerous literary journals including Word Riot, Toronto Quarterly and San Pedro River Review. He is the author of four poetry collections, the most recent being A Murder Of Crows published by University of Hell Press. www.michaelnthompson.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Natalie The Server by Bill Kitcher

I raised my glass to my lips and, looking up, saw Natalie watching me. She smiled slightly, briefly. She came over and sat beside me at the ...