Sunday, March 26, 2023

Second Adolescence By Alec Solomita

 

Nobody talks about it

but the fact is

you can’t skip it

just like you couldn’t

on your way to adulthood.

At least I can’t. 


Mood swings, suicidal 

at daybreak, cheerful

after coffee. But always

depressed. Back to

a six-pack a day.


Skin problems due to stress.

Lack of confidence, need

for reassurance, asking

for reassurance. A new

interest in clothes to show

that I’m not old “inside.”


My second sexual renaissance.

A Bonobo again! That great old song

rings round my head.

I’m a girl watcher, watching girls 

go by. My oh my. 

Which brings me to loneliness

When was I this lonely?

When I was thirteen.







Alec Solomita is a writer working in the Boston area. His fiction has appeared in

the Southwest Review, The Mississippi Review, Southword Journal, among other

publications. He was shortlisted by the Bridport Prize and Southword Journal. His poetry

has appeared in Poetica, Heart of Flesh Literary Journal, Lothlorien Poetry Journal, Amethyst Review, The Lake, The Galway Review, and elsewhere, including several anthologies. His poetry

chapbook “Do Not Forsake Me,” was published in 2017. His full-length poetry book,

“Hard To Be a Hero,” was released by Kelsay Books last spring.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...