Tuesday, July 18, 2023

The City Where I Live by Ian Lewis Copestick

The city where I live
is in the worst, most
deprived 20 % of the
country,

I've just read
that it's now known
as the ' monkey dust '
capital of the U.K.

If you haven't heard
of monkey dust.

Don't worry, I don't
know what it is either.

The city where I live
used to be one of the
most prosperous in
the whole country.

We were known as
the potteries for a
reason.

Doulton, Wedgwood.

We were the world
leaders.

Well, the world
leaders in making
fancy pottery.

One of my first jobs
was in  ' pot bank '
As we called them.

In a factory churning
out plates, teapots,
teacups, saucers,
etc.

Now, they've all
closed down.

They outsourced the
work to Malaysia.

I've got nothing
against anyone
from Malaysia,
or anywhere.

It's just a shame,
that's all. 





Ian Lewis Copestick is a 49 year old writer (I prefer that term to poet ) from Stoke on Trent, England. I spend most of my life sitting,  thinking then sometimes writing. I have been published in Anti Heroin Chic, the Dope Fiend Daily, Outlaw Poetry, Synchronized Chaos, the Rye Whiskey Review, Medusa's Kitchen and Horror Sleaze Trash.


No comments:

Post a Comment

William Carlos Williams, volume II By Janette Schafer

This is just to say if you had written more like this, steeped in affection, tongue firmly in cheek, lush enough to taste cold fruit in my m...