Tuesday, September 19, 2023

On The Menu Tonight Is By Travis Gauvin

Don’t give the drink 

A name just yet 

I’m not sure 

Of the head against the glass 

Or the balance of the components, 

The legs don’t respond well 

With the body. 

I could say you were a sour 

A play on a classic

Savory with a hint of citrus,

I may even leave you up 

And discard this garnish.

In cupped hands this unfinished creation lands 

The dry shake doesn’t dilute 

The way I feel about 

Pinch of salt 

Or dash of bitters 

I keep overcomplicating 

What is pure 

Flavoring poison with a stir,

And until I give a name to this new vice 

I’ll shake and strain again 

With a side of fresh ice,

And I’ll take my time to taste. 






Travis Gauvin is an emerging poet from Maine. He published his debut collection "Pizza and Beer Money'' with Maine Authors Publishing in 2020, where it became the publisher's highest selling book in its genre. He is a founding member of the PortlandPoetsSociety and is the host of SPEAK EASY, a spoken word event that runs every other Tuesday in Portland, ME. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...