Friday, May 24, 2024

Breakfast of Champions at the Pittsburgh Airport in Early Morning By Joan Leotta


To sustain me for my super early morning

round of flights to reach rural North Carolina

from Pittsburgh, (city of champions,

and my childhood stomping grounds),

I sought out a touted

airport  bagel shop.

HOWEVER, their counter staff was

resisting the advertised  

five am opening on my travel day.

“Closed until ten” the sign said.


Wandering down the hallway,

surprisingly (to me) I found

an active bar, complete with 

sports on two television screens,

terrible towel banners, and

people perched on tall stools 

the curved Formica bar,

some at tables, all with drinks. 

I hoisted my short self onto

a barstool and asked the lone server

“Do you have coffee?”

 “Yes, but no milk.”  

So, I took it black, moderating

its bitterness with sugar

instead of whisky. 

Menu food categories boasted

“Breakfast of Champions,”

(Toast, eggs, and a Bloody Mary)

and a list of side dishes.

I chose to supplement

my caffeine infusion with

toasted plain bagel, cream cheese.


While waiting for my order, 

at least fifteen folks of various ages, 

dress, stages of wakefulness,

stepped up to the counter, 

requesting bar or table service

Bloody Marys, Long Island iced teas, 

beer, and/or espresso martinis. 

Most requested open tabs.

While I was there, no one

ordered any food. 

It seems in my hometown,

Breakfast of Champions

has become a liquid ritual. 

Does black coffee count?






Joan Leotta plays with words on page and stage. She writes and performs tales of food, family, strong women and has a one woman show as Louisa May Alcott. Internationally published as an essayist, poet, short story writer, and novelist,  she’s a two-time Pushcart and Best of the Net nominee and was a 2022 runner-up in Robert Frost Competition. Her two chapbooks are “Languid Lusciousness with Lemon”  and "Feathers on Stone." 

Joan Leotta
Author, Story Performer
“Encouraging words through Pen and Performance”
Twice Nominated for Pushcart and Best of Net 
"Feathers on Stone" poetry chapbook available from me and at

Other Joan Leotta Books
Languid Lusciousness with Lemon, Finishing Line Press (Amazon)
Morning by Morning and Dancing Under the Moon, two free mini-chapbooks are at https://www.origamipoems.com/poets/257-joan-leotta 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DRIFTING UP By Roger Singer

while walking in the dark inhaling the aroma of night I threw a few words into the sky   a collection of dust particles vapors and thoughts ...