Sunday, July 14, 2024

Alone and Drinking by Steven Bruce

AFTER LI BAI

Snug
between the breasts of midnight,
I’m alone and drinking red wine.
In good company. Listening to songs
I love. Sharing a cigar with my shadow.

In this solitary night, there’s no politics
or pseudo-morality discussed here,
no tiny cock with an imbecile attached
to it wanting to prove his manhood,
no one whining about how empty
and meaningless their life became.

I wag my toes, look to the black void
where the priests tell us paradise lies.
As the moon strolls by,
I lift my bottle,
and we two keep to the gentle rivers
of ourselves.



Steven Bruce is a writer and multiple-award-winning author. His poems and short stories have appeared in numerous international anthologies and magazines. In 2018, he graduated from Teesside University with a master’s degree in creative writing. An English expatriate, he now lives and writes full-time in Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beethoven Knocking By Wendy Cartwright

The bows carve through my eardrums flossing wax from grey matter cleaning and preening those hard-to-reach spots that still hold the remnant...