Thursday, September 12, 2024

The Bear by Keith Pearson


Bear held court Sunday mornings

At the end of the bar

The best restaurant in town.

The only restaurant in town.

The Sunday paper spread out on the bar

Empty mimosa glasses

And a plate of Canadian bacon

The bartender keeping both coming.

‘Papa P!’ he’d bellow ‘pull up a chair!’

To the chagrin of the few bluehairs in town

Having brunch instead of church.

And he’d pick my brain about

Movies Music Politics

Drugs

My daughter

My wanderings

Until it was time for me

To go.

Happened every time I came to town.

I didn’t know his name was

Paul

Until he was dead.

In a dream he asked

‘Please keep my chair swept clean.’

The bartender keeps that stool empty

Every Sunday.

-          For Jake Hemming



keith pearson was born and raised in new hampshire and works at a local high school in the math department.



1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we make deep connections with people who don't even know our name. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Beethoven Knocking By Wendy Cartwright

The bows carve through my eardrums flossing wax from grey matter cleaning and preening those hard-to-reach spots that still hold the remnant...