Sunday, November 18, 2018

Graveyard Shift. by Victor Clevenger




come home at eight in the morning     
stumble in     reggie is lying
in the doorway
half his body inside     
half is out
I ask if he had a rough night
he replies     it was a dream
he almost died     
wonders if I have ever felt
that i was coming close to death
I tell him     once or twice
remind him of the failed suicide attempt in 2002
he asks if I called out for god
in the moment that I thought
it was surely all over  
tell him “I didn’t”
he crawls the rest of the way inside
says he didn’t either
says he called out for his father
like a scared child
who needed firm comforting
assured him that I knew that feeling
that on occasions
I had expressed that feeling myself
he says he’s alive     
it doesn’t matter anymore
that he’s going back to sleep
i tell him     g’night     
sit down to take my boots off
kid’s mom walks down the hallway
asks who i’m talking to
& if i’m hungry
i’m not     
but i eat half a bagel anyway






When not traveling highways across America, Victor Clevenger spends his days in a Madhouse and his nights writing poetry.  Selected pieces of his work have appeared in print magazines and journals around the world, as well as at a variety of places online.  In 2017, Victor was nominated for the Best of the Net Anthology, as well as a Pushcart Prize.  His most recent published collections of poetry include a split book with Tom Farris titled Ginger Roots Are Best Taken Orally (EMP, 2018) and A Finger in the Hornets’ Nest (Red Flag Press, 2018).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Public Service With A Crooked Smile by JPR

Sometimes, I get a great laugh from the perceptions of others. All the trivial bullshit, the faux hardasses who can barely handle a paper cu...