Monday, November 19, 2018

Pressed . Ashley Cooke



"I bet you give every girl this poem"
she says as I drop it at her feet
she picks it up and sets it in her lap
"You can't lie to me"
she opens it up and begins to read
her eyes shift fast across the lines
but as she reads on she slows down
stopping at every line
every word
that’s when she realizes I've truly captured her
placing her in a jar she could never fly out of
I preserved her in time
like a flower pressed behind glass.





Ashley Cooke is a creative writing major attending Long Beach City College. She is from Long Beach, CA. She works at a hospital and at a music venue. She is currently working on her first poetry collection. 

1 comment:

On Tuesday There Was a Point When Bourbon Seemed Like a Good Breakfast Food By jim bourey

That was when morning newscasters started their phony emoting about the cargo ship disaster at the Key Bridge.  The day before, it was more ...