Friday, March 15, 2019

The land of Mom, Continent Earth by Melanie Browne


I knock on my daughters
bedroom door who is home
from college on Winter break,
I peek my head in,
"did you floss,"?
I notice the squares
on her laptop
filled with talking people
like the theme song from
The Brady Bunch
"Mom, we're playing
Dungeons and Dragons!"
she squeaks,
"Hi Mrs. Browne,"
says one of the
people on the squares.
I wave and remove myself
from her room.
I only played D&D once
with my younger brother
and he said my character
died mysteriously
by being eaten alive
by fire-ants,
after that,
I held a dim view
of the game,
although sometimes
I catch a glimpse
of halflings &
other sentient
beings snacking on
frozen waffles,
so I know more than I let on










Melanie Browne is a poet and fiction writer living in Texas. She has been published in various journals and 
online literary magazines such as Pulp Metal Magazine. She has also been included in several anthologies, 
including Zombies Galore and Everyday poets 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spirited Away By Ken Gierke

No wet blanket, it kept her dry. Bottle or can, didn’t matter. Kept her warm. Inside. Where it matters. Until it didn’t let her forget what ...