Saturday, November 30, 2019

Of Late I’ve Been Thinking About Retirement – by KB Ballentine



Waking late (or early), as I wish
Eating breakfast with a book,
enjoying lunch with my favorite show
Morning appointments before doctors cancel for the day
Grocery shopping before the work crowd gets off, 
making it home without hitting rush hour traffic
Crafting, writing, swimming, dancing any hour I want as long as I want
Not planning my evening around what time I have to get up
As many amber bottles left on the counter as I can remember
Going to the bathroom on my own damn schedule





KB Ballentine’s sixth collection, The Light Tears Loose,
appeared this summer with Blue Light Press. Published in Crab Orchard
Review and Haight-Ashbury Literary Journal, among others, her work also
appears in anthologies including In Plein Air (2017) and Carrying the
Branch: Poets in Search of Peace (2017). Learn more at
www.kbballentine.com.

1 comment:

Measure By Bruce Morton

We measure light, Not darkness, which is The absence of light. We measure heat, Not cold, which is The absence of heat. We measure sound, No...