Saturday, September 28, 2024

FRIDAY NIGHT HUSTLE By Larry Houston

 

Shooting pool down at Happy’s 

two drunks cuss fighting

three tables down

Happy steps in with his pig face 

and thick glasses

gives one a shove, and they stop


I take a swallow of beer

Iine up my shot

it falls in the side pocket


we’re wired, on edge, looking for hams

two potentials walk in

we start up the small talk

invite them to join us

we play teams and lose

 

smoke weed in the alley

drop a line of bullshit, 

see if it sticks


in the small trailer park, six miles out

their money tucked in my jeans

they run behind shrinking taillights,

our well-practiced hustle left them chasing the car

I laugh

light a cigarette, blow out the smoke

we turn the corner

disappear.





I am most happy when trying to create something of interest when writing. I started writing in my 50’s and have a few pieces published in Medusa’s Kitchen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Was She Gonna Do? By Kevin M. Hibshman

School was a drag. Her parents weren't interested in hearing about her  teenage blues. The town she lived in was ruled over by the cruel...